Blog

VIVO Updates, May 22. Google Scholar. Membership.

Google Scholar.  Occasionally we are asked about using Google Scholar and Google Scholar data to populate VIVO.  Is there an API?  Are there open source tools for harvesting Google Scholar data?  Are there licensing restrictions?  Google Scholar does a good job  of scanning the web looking for authors' works and uses sophisticated heuristics to assemble collections of works for authors.  Many faculty curate their Google Scholar collection, thereby enriching the data.  Google has a global Terms of Service document that covers all of its services.  In that document it says "Do not misuse our services."  The key questions then are what constitutes a service, and what constitutes misuse?  We asked Google representatives specifically about the use of Google Scholar data in VIVO.  Their answer was very clear.  The Google Scholar service can only be used by an end user using a browser. Google Scholar data can not be harvested by software, or repurposed in VIVO or other systems.  This is unfortunate, but at the present time, Google Scholar is not a source of data for VIVO.

VIVO Financial Support.  We are sometimes asked questions about the VIVO project's finances.  Where does the money come from to support the VIVO project?  The answer is very simple. VIVO is a member-supported project of Duraspace. This means that the financial support for VIVO comes from Duraspace members supporting the VIVO project.  Each year, Duraspace member institutions provide financial support to the VIVO project.  Without Duraspace members, VIVO is unable to operate.  VIVO has a fabulous set of members – they contribute financial resources, and in return participate in VIVO governance, and have the satisfaction of knowing they help support an important open source project for the world of scholarship.  You can find a list of Duraspace members and corporate sponsors supporting the VIVO project here:  http://vivoweb.org/membership  We would not exist without them.  

Last year, 94% of the VIVO project revenue came from its members and corporate sponsors.  6% came from other sources.  The VIVO conference is an independent financial entity – it does not receive funds from the VIVO members and it does not provide funds to the VIVO project.  Duraspace supports the VIVO project through its membership.  It does not have other assets with which to support VIVO or its other projects.  The projects exist in a sustainable way if enough members financially support the project.

The support of Duraspace members drives the success of the project.  Because of the Duraspace members, we are able to have a technical lead, travel to represent VIVO, organize events such as the user group meeting, provide a wiki, a web site, and other project infrastructure.  In the past year, the VIVO project released version 1.8.1, providing a significant improvement in end user performance, and created OpenVIVO, a demonstration of a hosted VIVO, using ORCiD sign on, collecting metadata from multiple sources in real-time, and publishing its data to an open web site every hour.

VIVO needs your institution to become a member.  If you are a member, we are most grateful for your continued support.  If you are not a member, you will be hearing more about membership in the coming months, from additional material to be posted here, from direct mailings, and from personal contacts by members of the VIVO community.  Please consider this information and consider how your institution may be able to financially support VIVO by becoming a Duraspace member.  We need your support.

Becoming a member is very simple.  You can find all the materials you need at http://vivoweb.org/membership.  Membership benefits are described in the VIVO Project Charter v 1.1.

Please give membership some thought.

VIVO meet-up at Symplectic Meeting.  Symplectic will hold its annual conference September 13-14 at Duke.  Interested in having a VIVO meet-up or other activity in conjunction with the Symplectic conference?  Contact Julia Trimmer with any ideas you may have.

Wiki Updates.  The VIVO wiki home page had some updates this week, improving some language, updating entries and fixing links.  Take a look at the VIVO wiki.   Please update anything you find that could be improved.  It's your wiki and its open for editing!

Apps and Tools call this Thursday. The Apps and Tools Interest Group will have its call this Thursday at 1 PM US Eastern time.  All are invited to hear about tools and applications regarding VIVO.

See OpenVIVO at Open Repositories.  Graham Triggs and I will be at Open Repositories, Trinity College, Dublin, June 13-16.  Stop by the OpenVIVO poster.  We'd love to meet you!

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

VIVO Updates for May 15 -- conference, merger, Duraspace, email lists

Poster deadline extended.  There's still time for you to submit a poster to VIVO 2016!  This is a great opportunity for you to share your work with the VIVO community. The deadline for poster submissions has been extended to May 23.  See http://vivoconference.org

Conference registration open.  And, by the way, conference registration is open.  Our keynotes this year are Sören Auer and Kaitlyn Thaney.  Should be a fantastic meeting in Denver, August 17-19.  Take advantage of early-bird registration rates.   http://vivoconference.org

LYRASIS and DuraSpace Announce Dissolution of "Intent to Merge".  After several months of due diligence, the boards of Lyrasis and Duraspace have dissolved the intent to merge.  The full text of the press release can be found here:  http://duraspace.org/articles/2879.  As a full participant in the process, I believe the result is a good one for our communities.  I look forward to strong years ahead.

Duraspace Retreat.  Mike Conlon and Graham Triggs attended a bi-annual Duraspace retreat in White Plains Georgia, May 9-12.  We had an opportunity to review the past six months and plan for the next six months with the rest of the Duraspace crew.  Many people help with VIVO.  debra hanken kurtz and Jonathan Markow are heavily involved – attending our meetings, helping with membership, strategy, and governance, and introducing us to people across the community.  Valorie Hollister handles the money.  Kristi Searle manages events and maintains our contacts.  Carol Minton Morris organizes communications and branding strategy.  The other Duraspace projects and services were represented by their managers and technical leads – David Wilcox and Andrew Woods for Fedora,  Tim Donohue for Dspace, Carissa SmithBill Branan and Danny Bernstein for Duraspace services including DuraCloud and Dspace Direct. Together, Duraspace seeks to enable the preservation of digital assets in scholarship and cultural heritage.  It's a great group of people who care about open source, and the missions of our institutions.

Use of the VIVO email lists.  The VIVO email lists – vivo-community@googlegroups.com and vivo-tech@googlegroups.com are for the use of the VIVO community.  "VIVO" is now a common trade name – there are many VIVO's around the world.  Our VIVO, this VIVO, the VIVO we participate in regarding open source, and representation of scholarship, is often confused with telecommunication companies, and nongovernmental organizations.  Our email lists are open – anyone can subscribe, and any subscriber can post.  This seems appropriate for an open source community.  The consequence of this openness is that occasionally someone will join the list and post something that is not appropriate for us.  This happened recently.  In each case, I responded to the poster privately, explaining the purpose of the list and the nature of our community.  I then unsubscribed the poster.  Our lists serve as open forums for the exchange of ideas about VIVO – its software, its ontologies, and its use in scholarship.

Apps and Tools call this Thursday. The Apps and Tools Interest Group will have its call this Thursday at 1 PM US Eastern time.  All are invited to hear about tools and applications regarding VIVO.

See OpenVIVO at Open Repositories.  Graham Triggs and I will be at Open Repositories, Trinity College, Dublin, June 13-16.  Stop by the OpenVIVO poster.  We'd love to meet you!

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

VIVO Updates for May 8, 2016 -- VIVO User Group Meeting

VIVO User Group Meeting. We had a great VIVO User Group meeting in Chicago at the Galter Health Science Library.  You can find materials from the meeting on line here. The two day meeting sessions included:

  • Introductions. Logistics. Session Topics. Ground rules. Work Products for the user group

  • Showcasing scholarly work. Design. User experience. Optimizing -- landing, person, org, and work pages. Performance

  • Expert finding. Research Discovery. Search. Cross-site linking and search.
  • Accessing works – linking to works on the web, in repos, use of public APIs. Ingesting data – domains of ingest, tools, data packages.

  • Community change management for ontology changes. Notices, training, documentation, tools, support for changes.

  • How to improve VIVO. Software architecture. Tools. Process. Releases. 1.9. 1.10. VIVO Labs. VIVO Futures
  • Read back, summary, action items. Next meeting. Meeting adjourns

The group discussed action items that will follow from the meeting. Each of these will involve community input on the VIVO calls and email lists, and possible task forces:

  1. Develop an Ontology development process - how is the ontology developed?

  2. Release 1.9 (before conference) – including new technical documentation

  3. Organize VIVO Labs – a method for experimenting with new VIVO capabilities.  See the Contributed Software Task Force Report

  4. Develop a 1.10 roadmap – using the VIVO Roadmap Process, continue the user group discussions to develop a roadmap for version 1.10

  5. Approach to Expert finding – consider how best to move forward with significant new capability in expert finding

  6. Approach to Central Services – consider how best to establish significant, sustainable, central services for cross-site search and disambiguation

  7. Approach to VIVO Futures – consider how best to further discussion regarding technical debt, and architectural issues for future VIVO software.

Thanks to all who attended!  Attendee list is here https://goo.gl/yFmWea   The discussions were incredible!

Special thanks to Kristi Holmes for hosting the meeting and to the staff at Northwestern for their hospitality and assistance.  Chicago is a lovely city, and the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern is close to the lake and close to Michigan Avenue with many top attractions, amazing food, and shopping.

The group considered when to meet again.  VIVO will likely have an in-person meeting sometime in late fall to discuss the strategic plan – more about that in the coming weeks.  A second user group meeting might occur in early 2017 (February?) to assess progress, and discuss direction.  Please share thoughts on vivo-community@googlegroup.com Plans for future meetings will be summarized here in VIVO Updates, along with any specific announcements of meetings.

We will have more regarding the user group meeting in a trip report, and user group meeting report to come.  Stay tuned.

Community Leadership Summit.  VIVO folks Julia TrimmerAlex Viggio, and debra hanken kurtz will be attending the Community Leadership Summit in Austin Texas, May 15-16.

Duraspace Retreat.  Mike Conlon and Graham Triggs will be attending a bi-annual Duraspace retreat in White Plains Georgia, May 9-12.  This is an opportunity to connect to other Duraspace projects, and develop strategy for the next six months.  We will report back here next week.

Duraspace/Lyrasis Board Meeting.  Mike Conlon will be attending a joint Duraspace/Lyrasis board meeting in Atlanta Georgia, May 15.  The intent to merge will be discussed.

Development Call. The Development Interest Group will have its call this Thursday at 1 PM US Eastern time.  Developers interested in VIVO 1.9 should plan to attend.

OpenVIVO. A VIVO anyone can join.  Have you tried OpenVIVO?  162 people in 12 countries have signed on to OpenVIVO, with 975 works entered from ORCiD, PubMed and Figshare.  Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Comments on all things VIVO.  Questions, comments, concerns, ideas for VIVO? Non-technical items are always welcome on vivo-community@googlegroups.com Technical items are best shared on vivo-tech@googlegroups.com. The VIVO community is always looking to help and always interested in questions and comments from all!

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

 

 

VIVO Updates for April 24 -- Hackathon, Apps and Tools, OpenVIVO, User Group, Open Repositories

Mozilla Open Science Hackathon.  On June 2 and June 3, Mozilla will host a global open science hackathon.  VIVO participated last year, working on ORCID2VIVO, and generating ideas that led to features in OpenVIVO.  Interested in participating?  Have ideas for the hackathon?  Just curious about what a hackathon is, and how it might help VIVO and open science?  See 2016 Mozilla Science Lab Global Sprint in the wiki and contact Alex Viggio with questions, ideas, interest.

Apps and Tools Call. The Apps and Tools Interest Group will have its call this Thursday at 1 PM US Eastern time.  Apps and Tools features short presentations by VIVO implementors and developers regarding tools they have created for use with VIVO.  Many of these tools are available in the Community Projects catalog.  These tools may help you with your implementation, with improving your VIVO services, or give you ideas about how you might use VIVO.

Force16.  The Force16 conference in Portland was fabulous in no small part due to the incredible leadership and vision of the conference chair, and VIVO Steering Committee member,  Melissa Haendel of Oregon Health and Sciences University.  The "Force" idea grew out of a small meeting at UCSD called "Beyond the PDF" – an eclectic group of people seeking to create new forms of scholarly communication, going beyond the published paper to include all forms of scholarly work, and making room for data, visualizations, software, and other contributions that the current scholarly ecosystem currently finds difficult to support.  Force11 is the name of the organization.  You can find them here:  http://force11.org.  OpenVIVO debuted at Force16, demonstrating a contribution ontology by which people could indicate their non-author roles in scholarly works. It was very well-received.  You can find the poster on Figshare and in OpenVIVO (imagine that).

OpenVIVO. A VIVO anyone can join.  Have you tried OpenVIVO?  It's easy.  Get an ORCiD at http://orcid.org and sign on to OpenVIVO at http://openvivo.org OpenVIVO received many positive comments and tweets at its debut at Force16.  Force16 used OpenVIVO to represent its scholarship – attendees registered with their ORCiD and provided their work to Figshare, tagging the work "force16."  Using the public Figshare API, the OpenVIVO Task Force developed software to identify tagged works in Figshare, gather their metadata, and create RDF for VIVO.  The RDF was then loaded to VIVO.  You can find the Figshare ingest software on GitHub:  https://github.com/openvivo/figshare-rdf  The result is an event page in OpenVIVO that contains a roster of attendees and a roster of works, creating a record of the conference.  See http://openvivo.org/display/eventFORCE2016.  The VIVO Conference (August 17-19, Denver) plans to use the same approach.

VIVO User Group Meeting, May 5-6, Chicago.  It's 10 days or so until the first VIVO User Group meeting in Chicago.  Still time to register and attend.  http://vivousergroup.eventbrite.com  The meeting will provide an important opportunity to discuss directions for the future of VIVO.  Many ideas for VIVO have been generated through the roadmap process, the "I wish I could use VIVO to ..." survey, steering and leadership calls, and community participation on VIVO email lists.  You can find a synthesis of ideas, open for comment here.  The ideas are not presented in any order.

Open Repositories.  Graham Triggs and I will be in Dublin for Open Repositories, June 13-16.  We hope to see you there!

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

VIVO Updates for April 18 -- OpenVIVO, Implementation

Did we launch OpenVIVO?  Yes, we did.  See http://openvivo.org  Have an ORCID?  Sign on.  Don't have an ORCID?  Get an ORCID at http://orcid.org and sign on.  It's that easy. If you follow VIVO on Twitter (@vivocollab) you'll see good people saying nice things about OpenVIVO.  It would be great if you did that too!

Dozens of people at Force16 have signed on.  All the Force16 presentations are being posted in Figshare and are available in OpenVIVO here: http://openvivo.org/display/eventFORCE2016.  As of this writing, OpenVIVO has data for 210 people,  560 academic works, and 769 attributions associated with academic works. All the data is published hourly to http://openvivo.org

You may want to promote OpenVIVO.  Here's a flyer that describes it's features.  Feel free to print and share the flyer, or use text from the flyer in your own materials.

OpenVIVO is a VIVO everyone can join.  It is the joint work of the OpenVIVO Task Force, the Force11 Attribution work group and OpenRIF.  What a great job these people did to design and build OpenVIVO.

We hope you try OpenVIVO and share your thoughts about it on one of the VIVO Google Groups. 

Implementation Call. Implementing VIVO?  Join us this Thursday at 1 PM, we will have a Implementation Interest Group call.  It's a friendly group.  New to VIVO, this is a great place to introduce yourself and your project and share your thoughts and questions about implementing VIVO.

Need help with your VIVO implementation? VIVO works with companies that can help you:

"Symplectic is a world-leading software development and service company specialized in the delivery of integrated research information management systems."

"Gunter Media Group Inc. (GMG) is a strategic management-consulting firm that helps libraries, publishers and companies to not only solve their key operational, technical and human assets but address new business opportunities."

You can find contact information on the VIVO web site here: http://vivoweb.org/community/service-providers

Do you represent a company that works with VIVO and could provide services to sites looking to implement VIVO?  Please contact us to become a registered service provider for VIVO.

You can help VIVO.

  1. Plan to attend the User Group Meeting.  The VIVO User Group Meeting will be held in Chicago, May 5-6.  You can register at http://vivousergroup.eventbrite.com
  2. Help build financial support for VIVO.  Join the Membership Task Force.  Contact Jonathan Markow
  3. Help us identify needs for VIVO.  I wish I could use VIVO to ...  Complete the sentence here:  http://goo.gl/forms/u7mqR0OrCv. Click the link.  Will take two minutes or less.  We will use the results to help plan future features.

Sea Change: Challenges and Opportunities in the Publishing Ecosystem.  On April 21, I'll be in Washington DC, presenting on collaboration in science and the role of the scholarly data ecosystem and systems like VIVO to improve collaboration and science.  Perhaps I'll see you there! http://allenpress.com/events/seminar

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

VIVO Updates for April 10

VIVO Conference registration opens this week.  Look for email announcements, tweets, Facebook, LinkedIn, and the nightly news (well, okay, not the nightly news).  The conference chair is Julia Trimmer.  The program chair is Manuel de la Cruz Gutierrez.  They are putting together a great event!  The conference will be in Denver, August 17-19.  Hope to see everyone there.

Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) meeting.  The CNI spring meeting in San Antonio was a great meeting – a chance to catch up with friends, meet new people, share some thoughts about research data sharing (my presentation is available on Figshare here) and enjoy some beautiful San Antonio hospitality and weather.  Lots of interest in VIVO, the role of VIVO as an element of a campus information infrastructure, and the relationship of VIVO to library practice and repositories.

Force2016, Portland, April 17-19.  Will you be at the Force16 meeting in Portland?  I'll be at the OpenRIF workshop Sunday morning, the Organizational Identifiers workshop Sunday afternoon, the OpenVIVO Hackathon Sunday night, and demoing OpenVIVO at the poster session on Monday.  Drop by, say hello.  Next week, VIVO Updates will be brought to you from Portland!

OpenVIVO Project.  OpenVIVO, a hosted, open VIVO that everyone can join, is nearing completion and will have its debut at the Force2016 conference.  OpenVIVO is a proving ground for new ideas – in particular, 1) an ecosystem in which attribution, contribution and recognition of the roles people play in scholarly work can be recorded and used to identify expertise, build teams, and promote the various kinds of contributions people make to scholarly work.  Working with the Force11 Attribution Working Group, and OpenRIF, the OpenVIVO Task Force has implemented new capabilities for VIVO to capture the contributions of individuals on scholarly works.  2) Demonstrate a connected, identified, real-time ecosystem.  OpenVIVO identifies people by ORCiD (see below), works by DOI, journals by ISSN, and organizations by GRID ID.  OpenVIVO can fetch metadata for works identified by DOI or PubMed ID and add them to profiles interactively.  With people, works, journals and organizations fully identified, profiles can be built can be built quickly and accurately.  3) Demonstrate an open ecosystem in which the data assembled about scholars and scholarship is freely shared.  OpenVIVO data will be made available every day.  Anyone can reuse the data for analysis, expert finding, team building, trend and social network analysis and much more.

OpenVIVO focuses on works and identification, and collection of connections between people, works and organizations.  It can provide data to local VIVO installations. It does not have curation, nor the richness of data provided by institutions supporting their VIVOs.  Local VIVOs remain the gold standard for scholarly profiles – complete, institutionally supported profiles representing the richness of the scholarly work and the items of interest to each organization.

Expect to see features from OpenVIVO in future releases of VIVO.

Taking care of business.  It's a busy season at the VIVO Project.  You can help.  Here are some ideas:

  1. Get an ORCiD identifier. ORCiD is the Open Researcher and Contributor Identifier – a unique, public, sixteen digit number that you can sign up for, and use to identify your presentations, papers, posters, software, datasets and more.  In addition to the identifier, ORCiD provides a sign-on service that other sites can use to authenticate users.  OpenVIVO uses the ORCiD sign on service.  Everyone should have an ORCiD.  To get an ORCiD, sign up at http://orcid.org.
  2. Plan to attend the User Group Meeting.  The VIVO User Group Meeting wll be held in Chicago, May 5-6.  You can register at http://vivousergroup.eventbrite.com
  3. Help build financial support for VIVO.  Join the Membership Task Force.  Contact Jonathan Markow
  4. Help us identify needs for VIVO.  I wish I could use VIVO to ...  Complete the sentence here:  http://goo.gl/forms/u7mqR0OrCv. Click the link.  Will take two minutes or less.  We will use the results to help plan future features for VIVO.

Development Call. This Thursday at 1 PM, we will have a Development Interest Group call. Graham Triggs will demonstrate OpenVIVO and discuss design features and development decisions.  This should be a great opportunity to learn more about OpenVIVO and its technical underpinnings.

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

VIVO Updates for March 27 -- User Group, Membership

VIVO User Group Meeting.  Registration is open.  VIVO User Group Meeting #1 will be held May 5-6 at the Galter Health Science Library at Northwestern in Chicago!

This event is something new.  We want to bring together people who care about VIVO to discuss topics of vital interest to the future development of the project.  The registration site below has links to a description of the event, and a proposed agenda.  We are looking for ideas.  Send your ideas for discussion topics to Mike Conlon or Graham Triggs.  We will be at the meeting and we hope to see you there.  To register, use the link below.  The User Group meeting is free and open to all.

http://vivousergroup.eventbrite.com

Membership Task Force forming.  As you know, great leadership, keen technological prowess, and a strong community are three critical components for VIVO's success. A fourth one is Membership. Membership revenue pays for a full-time project director and tech lead, travel, fund-raising, marketing, infrastructure, and a number of other things critical to the success of open source projects. We have ambitious goals this year and we want to fire up all our engines to achieve them.

This year our aim is to ramp up the recruitment of new members with a focused campaign. In particular, we want to invite organizations that have been using or exploring VIVO, but not contributing to the project, to increase their commitment and become active members.

Membership recruitment is a job for everyone who cares about VIVO, and you don't need to be an experienced fund raiser to lend a hand. This year, Jonathan Markow from DuraSpace will lead a task force that will aim to bring in a ground-breaking number of new members for VIVO. If you love VIVO, you're invited to join. Contact jjmarkow@duraspace.org or me.

I wish I could use VIVO to ...  Complete the sentence here:  http://goo.gl/forms/u7mqR0OrCv. You can do this.  Click the link.  Will take two minutes or less.

VIVO and SHARE webinars available.  Learn how your VIVO can be shared with SHARE and become searchable, discoverable, retrievable as part of the  scholarly ecosystem.  Recordings of 3 VIVO plus SHARE webinars are available:  http://bit.ly/1Zs48Gy

User Group Planning Call. This Thursday at 1 PM, we will have a call regarding 2016 VIVO User Group Meeting #1.  Mike Conlon and Graham Triggs will co-chair the call.  Please bring your suggestions about how to have a great meeting, and questions regarding what we hope the meeting will achieve.  Here is a WebEx link to join the meeting: https://goo.gl/3NzYfc.  This is a chance to have your voice heard.  We hope you will be able to attend the call, and attend the user group meeting.

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

Join us at VIVO User Group Meeting #1, Chicago, May 5-6

Galter Health Sciences Library and the Northwestern University Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

The VIVO User Group Meeting brings together VIVO thought leaders and practitioners to discuss VIVO futures.  The group will create recommendations for the future of VIVO.  The meeting should reinforce the purpose of VIVO, foster communication, make progress on fundamental issues, and address strategy.

The meeting is not a hackathon, a conference, nor an implementation fest.  A preliminary agenda has been developed (see below), but topics are expected to change, and breakouts developed by the attendees during the meeting

Time and Place

Wednesday, May 4, 2016, optional dinner for those arriving early, time and place TBA

Thursday, May 5, 2016, 8 AM to 5 PM Galter Health Science Library Conference Room, Ward Building, 303 E Chicago Ave #2-212, Chicago, IL 60611.  See http://galter.northwestern.edu

Friday, May 6, 2016, 8 AM to 3 PM.  Same location as above.

Registration

Registration is free, there is no cost to attend the user group meeting.  But seating is limited.  Please register at

http://vivousergroup.eventbrite.com

Accommodations

Attendees are encouraged to find reasonably priced hotels within walking distance of the Galter Library. Some good options are listed below and may offer a Northwestern University discount:

Format

  1. Optional, social, gathering dinner the night before.

  2. Full day of topic driven sessions.  No presentations.  Participants should have the background they need to participate.

  3. Joint happy hour, dinner

  4. ¾ day of topic driven sessions, adjourning early enough for most people to catch planes and get home the same day.

User Group Work Products

Recommendations from each session.  “The group recommends VIVO  …”  Outputs will be discussed with Steering and become part of the VIVO strategic plan and project roadmap.  Follow-up work will be done by task forces.

Preliminary Agenda

The topics below have been suggested by the project director, technical lead, and Steering Group.  Additional topics will be identified before the meeting and revised agenda produced.  Attendees will raise additional topics and will revise to a final agenda. Breakouts may be needed to accommodate topics.

 

 

Wed

TBA

Optional dinner for those arriving early

Thu

8:00-8:30

Gathering.  Coffee.  Introductions

Topic 1

08:30-10:00

OpenRif and VIVO. What is OpenRif.  Which ontologies are in VIVO?  What changes to ontology are desirable?  Necessary?

 

10:00-10:30

Coffee break. Identification of additional topics.

Topic 2

10:30-12:00

Supporting an Ontology Process.  How do the ontologies in VIVO get updated?  Extracted?  Community support of ontology changes.

 

12:00-13:30

Lunch

Topic 3

13:30-15:00

How should VIVO use existing RDF data (Journals, GeoLocation, Orgs, dates)?  What data might exist?  What should exist?  Process for using existing data.

 

15:00-15:30

Afternoon break

Topic 4

15:30-17:00

VIVO presentation layer.  The profile. What is missing?  Brainstorming a larger collection of visualizations, expert finding

 

18:00-21:30

Social hour, dinner


Fri

8:00-8:30

Gathering. Coffee.

Topic 5

08:30-10:00

VIVO ingest processes.  How can we be more productive?  What should be provided?  Recommended?  

 

10:00-10:30

Coffee break

Topic 6

10:30-12:00

VIVO Data Reuse.  How can we foster reuse?  What should be provided?  Recommended?

 

12:00-1:30

Lunch

Topic 7

13:30-15:00

Readback, summary, action items.  Meeting adjourns

 

 

VIVO Updates for March 20 -- User Group, Summit, I wish VIVO could

VIVO User Group Meeting.  This is new.  Really new.  VIVO is planning a User Group meeting for Thursday and Friday May 5 and 6.  We are finalizing the location of the meeting and hope to be able to announce specifics in the coming week.  The User Group meeting will provide the opportunity for attendees to discuss the future of VIVO.  All topics are up for discussion.  If you have an idea that you think we should discuss, please forward to either Graham Triggsor Mike Conlon.  We expect to discuss ontology, development, implementation, partnerships, features, architecture, data management, adoption, and much more.  We do not expect to have presentations.  The User Group meeting is intended to provide an opportunity for discussion.  Depending on attendance and interests, we may have breakout sessions.

This is a new meeting.  It is not a hackathon.  It is not an implementation fest.  It is solely for the purpose of bringing people together to discuss the future of VIVO.  There will be no registration fee or other expenses.  We hope you will make plans to attend.

Summit recap. The Duraspace Summit was held last week in Washington DC.  The Summit provides an opportunity for Duraspace members to come together, share experiences, and discuss strategy.  This year was my third Summit.  I find the meeting to one of the most interesting of the year.  If you are a member, please plan to attend next year.  If you are not a member, please consider becoming a member.  The Summit is a key member benefit.  For a full report, see 2016-03-17 Trip Report -- Duraspace Board Meeting and Summit

I wish I could use VIVO to ...  So we are asking – what do wish you could use VIVO to do?  Imagine the following:  Your VIVO is full of quality data.  And further imagine that you open your VIVO and proceed to use it to do something wonderful.  So wonderful that you tell all your friends, and they use VIVO and do something wonderful.  What wonderful thing are you imagining doing?  Please tell us here:  http://goo.gl/forms/u7mqR0OrCv.  We will collect your responses, report back, and use your responses to develop future features for VIVO.  Should take you just a couple of minutes to tell us what you could imagine doing with your VIVO.  We look forwrd to hearing from you!

Submit your work to the conference. The VIVO conference has extended the deadline for submission of presentations, posters and workshops to the end of the day Monday, March 21.  To submit a proposal, please prepare a 500 word abstract describing your work, following the directions on the VIVO blog post here.  The VIVO conference is an excellent opportunity for you to share your work with others.  Please consider supporting the VIVO community by presenting your work.

Apps and Tools. This Thursday at 1 PM, the Apps and Tools Interest Group will hold its call.  Ted Lawless and Chris Barnes, co-chair the group and invite all those interested in tools for use with VIVO to attend.  Tools may reuse VIVO data for reporting or presentation, or create VIVO data.  The calls are easy to join.  See the information on the Apps and Tools Interest Group page.  We hope you will be able to attend.

Go VIVO!

Mike

Mike Conlon VIVO Project Director

Call for Papers, Workshops and Posters Closes in 1 Week

Don’t Delay: VIVO Conference Call for Papers, Workshops and Posters Extended Until Monday, March 21st

The Seventh Annual VIVO Conference will be held August 17-19, 2016 at the Denver Marriott City Center in Denver, Colorado. The organizers are pleased to issue this call for contributions to the program.
 
The VIVO Conference creates a unique opportunity for people from around the world to come together to explore ways to use semantic technologies and linked open data to promote scholarly collaboration and research discovery.
 
The VIVO conference is an excellent opportunity to meet with VIVO team members from participating institutions. It also offers an open and collaborative environment to share ideas and discuss topics related to adoption and implementation of VIVO, VIVO-based tools and the opportunities created by advancing data sharing and team science.
 
Authors are invited to submit proposals for panel and paper presentations, workshops and posters on topics of interest for the Seventh Annual VIVO Conference in August. Proposals must be received by Monday, March 21st at 5:00 PM EST.
 
 
Contributions are invited to explore, evaluate, or demonstrate exceptional VIVO implementations, integration with external systems, and experiences on traditional and alternative methods of tracking and presenting impact. We encourage submissions on all aspects of using and/or studying semantic technologies within the interpretive context of representing scholarship and scholars, but especially on the role of communities of collaboration and faceted teamwork across disciplines within this area of scholarly inquiry.
 
We invite proposals for long presentations (30 minutes), short presentations (20 minutes), posters, and submissions for a limited number of opportunities for interactive panel discussions (60 to 90 minutes). Proposals are welcome from emerging and experienced students, teachers, developers, and researchers.
 
We also invite all interested parties to submit workshop proposals. Workshops will be taught on August 16th and each will be 3.5 hours long. We strongly encourage proposals which incorporate a lively presentation style and which use a variety of instructional approaches (e.g. lecture, demonstration, group discussion, brainstorming, hands-on exercises, and case studies) and materials (e.g. slides, handouts, code snippets and sample data on the VIVO wiki) throughout the session. We encourage proposals that focus on training needs for staff who support and manage VIVO implementations regardless of the role they play in the VIVO project: project management, outreach and engagement, data management, and technical development.
 
Instructions for Submitting Proposals
 
Conference Presentations (long and short) and Panels 
Proposals for presentations or panels should be maximum of 500 words. Abstracts of accepted presentations and panels will be made available through the conference’s web site and the printed booklet distributed at the conference during registration. In general, sessions will have two or three presentations; panels may take an entire session or may be combined with a presentation. Relevant proposals unsuccessful in the main track will be considered for inclusion, as appropriate, as a poster.
 
Posters
We invite proposals for posters that showcase current work, and proposals for posters should be maximum of 500 words. Attendees will view and discuss your work during the poster reception.
 
Workshops
Proposals for workshops should also be maximum of 500 words. We encourage proposals that focus on training needs for staff who support and manage VIVO implementations regardless of the role they play in the VIVO project: project management, outreach and engagement, data management, and technical development. Please address the following in your workshop proposal:
 
Length of session (e.g. half a day or a whole day)
Learning outcomes from the session
How many attendees you plan to accommodate
Audio, visual and facility requirements
Any other supplies or support required
 
Please note:
 
The VIVO 2016 Conference Task Force welcomes proposals that are still in the formative stages, and may work with potential presenters to focus their proposals further.
 
Proposals should name any particular products or services that are integral to the content of the presentation. However proposals should not be used as a venue to promote any product, service, or institution.
 
We look forward to seeing you in Denver!
 
 
Contact Information
 
Manuel de la Cruz Gutierrez, Ph.D. (dmanuel@upenn.edu
VIVO Conference Program Chair
 
Julia Trimmer (julia.trimmer@duke.edu
VIVO Conference Chair
 
Michelle Issing (vivo@designingevents.com
Conference Planner
 
preserve